Sunday, May 7, 2017

Week 1 Reflection

I learned a lot this week. It started off with learning about knowing who your audience is depending on the piece you are writing. Next I learned how to use HubSpot and how to post game schedules and livestream links on Proctor’s social media pages. I learned what the alumni association was and what they are trying to do. I learned how to make a weekly planner on trello.com and a new way to manage my time. I also learned what everyone who is on campus for senior project was doing. I learned that the 5k has almost reached its goal of 200 participants. I learned about the softball team and how to write, format, and publish a blog post. I learned that not every task is very fun or easy. I learned about 200 alumni’s names and emails and how to email a large group of people by hand.

I really liked what I did this week. In the first week of senior project, Scott threw me right into the mix of things. In the first week I helped publish an article for the blog, emailed alumni, interviewed fellow seniors, posted numerous tweets and Facebook posts on social media accounts, and I wrote the first draft of my next piece that I am going to publish. All of these tasks have been really interesting to me and I have enjoyed doing them.

There are two activities that I was asked to do that I think I know why. The first one was talking to seniors about their best memories at Proctor and taking pictures of senior projects in action. I think I was asked to do this because they are my friends and classmates and I have a better relationship than if a teacher or faculty member were to ask. The second one is writing a piece on the musical. I know I was asked to do this because I am doing the musical for the first time and I am going to reflect on this experience.

Everything pretty much happened as expected except I didn't think that sending 200 emails would take more than 2 hours!

I will benefit from this week’s activities because I already have the experience now, so next week when I am asked to write something, I will have a good idea how to write, format, and publish it. I also benefit from talking to people because it is strengthening my already pretty strong trait, but I think being able to talk to people is very important in life.


This week checked off a few of my goals. One of which was posting two pieces on the website. I can now check off one. I also have helped out with game days and tweeting during games. I have been working closely with Scott understanding the communications efforts and trends too.

No comments:

Post a Comment